Saturday, December 5, 2009

1 week down...

It has been a week now since Charlie left, and I can't figure out if its going by fast or slow. On Wednesday it felt like the week was dragging on, and then all day Thursday I thought it was Wednesday and it didn't feel like the next day should be Friday, but now the weekend is here, and it definitely feels like a weekend, but it feels so odd. This is the first weekend in 6 weeks that I have not driven down to San Diego, and the first weekend in 10 weeks that I haven't spent with Charlie. He and I have been together since January and either he or I have driven to see each other nearly every single weekend since then. He has been on a couple different training trips that have taken him away for a couple weeks at a time, and he went hunting for a couple weeks in Wyoming, but other than that I have spend every weekend for the past 10 months with him. Right now this just feels like another training mission, like he's out in the field running tracks for a few days, and I guess in a way he is.

This is his job, and a job he loves more than anyone I've ever known has loved a job. And his job requires travel, whether that be desert training in Fort Irwin, pre-deployment training in Yuma, cross training with Special Forces in Hawthorne, or deployments, travel is part of the gig. I know when this seven months has past and we are watching fireworks on the 4th of July (trying to be optimistic he'll be home by then!) I will say that the time flew by. I really do think it will fly by.

I'm doing lots to keep me busy while he's away, and its doesn't take much effort. Work has turned up the heat and gotten extra busy at we approach year end so that takes up a good 11 hours of my day between getting ready for work, commuting 70 miles round trip, and working a 9 hour day. And then I get home around 6 p.m. and I work out, eat dinner, shower and repeat for the next four days! Pretty simple! And the weekends for the next few weeks are pretty self explanatory.... CHRISTMAS SHOPPING!! I did some today actually, and after getting it home and thinking about it, I'm taking half of it back tomorrow! Good thing I started a little early!

I got to talk to Charlie for about an hour tonight. I'm such a lucky girl! It was so nice to sit and chat with him for that long. We had lots to catch up on since we haven't talked since Monday. He was telling me about the breakfast he had this morning.... fresh kiwi and melon, an omelet with all the veggies and sausage, and waffles. Now I'm not sure where they are finding fresh melon and kiwi in 50 degree weather, but I'm so glad they are! I know all I could find for fresh fruit at the market this week was apples and grapes! He also said he's been taking 4-5 hour walks with Robbie to get him used to all the smells and sites where they are at. Helps Charlie to find his way around the base, gets them both some exercise, and keeps Robbie workin that sniffer of his! They are still waiting around to find out when they will get to go out on missions, but in the mean time the are setting up their kennels and trying to get their own office with computers and phones set up. Other than that he said there not a whole lot too exciting going on over there right now (besides the amazing food open 24 hours a day), just getting in training and waiting to go out.

1 week down.... 29 to go!!

1 comment:

  1. Gosh sweetie it is nice to see such a positive attitude..I could take a lesson in all of this..keep up the spirit..I am sure Charlie can hear it in your voice and knows that he doesn't have to worry about you. Love you..

    ReplyDelete