Friday, January 22, 2010

FREEZING!!!

It's beyond cold in my house right now. I'm talkin like 52 degrees on the thermostat! BRRRR! I'm currently curled up on my couch with my marine corp blanket, my zebra blanket and my imitation snuggie and I'm shivering! I'm about to go huddle up in my room and turn my floor heater on full blast at 80 degrees.

Now it would be logical to turn the the heater on in my living room while I sit here and blog, but we don't think it works, or we don't know how to work it. I'm convinced our landlord cut the wires to it so we wouldn't use any more electricity than this green house produces!

Green is pretty awesome, but those darn solar panels on the roof are drivin me crazy right now! Apparently this is the first year girls have lived in the guest house... enter hair dryers, and baking, and extra lights to put on makeup, and the need for heaters, and a real electricity bill! OOPS! Needless to say we aren't breaking even, and our landlord posted a memo to us to limit our electricity usage through the end of the billing year in February.

Lucky for us the sun came out a bit today, and its supposed to be sunny this weekend! The Central Coast has averaged about 2 inches of rain a day this week. Its been a crazy stormy week here, winds at 50 miles an hour, heavy rain, flooding, tornadoes, the Santa Maria River actually ran for a few hours, and the waves reached 20 ft!



But the sun came out today! I took this picture on my drive to work. It was quite the scene, low lying rain clouds dumping buckets on the mesa, and the sun peering out above the storm cloud. It was clear but ominous as I was driving, then I passed through the little black cloud and across the Santa Maria River Bridge and it started coming down, giant raindrops filled my windshield and the wipers went at full blast, for all of 10 seconds. Then it was clear, the roads were dry, and the sun was shining.

This pattern continued all day, and while it is clear now, the suns gone down and it is FREEZING cold, and I'm bundled up on my couch, and I can't turn my heater on b/c it runs on electricity and I wouldn't be surprised if my landlord is over there monitoring every kWh running through this place! Time to grab another blanket! Or head to friends place with a heater! Guess it would be a bit of an oxymoron for a green house to have a fire place, but I could go for a good fire right now!!

2 comments:

  1. Your real problem is with the imitation snuggie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a Christmas present before snuggies were even popular or had commercials, we're talkin like 3 years ago and it keeps my arms a little warmer while I blog!!

    ReplyDelete